Czstochowa is a historic Archdiocese of Chicago church in Cicero. A Polish cathedral’s majesty. Czesaw Dwigaj sculpted Christ the King outside Chicago’s St. Hyacinth Basilica. Mafalda Capone married in 1930.

St. Mary of Czstochowa parish is diverse. Others had pioneering forefathers. The Black Madonna is strongly tied to the St. Mary of Czstochowa Polish immigrant population. Like Cicero’s Hawthorne region a century ago, the parish has a strong Polish and German influence. Attendance is 450. Founded in the 1880s, the Polish community in Hawthorne, Illinois. The Polish community developed around the 31st and Cicero limestone quarry. They walked five miles to Mass at St. Adalbert’s on 16th and Allport. They liked St. Casimir’s Church on 22nd and Whipple, but they wanted their own. Cicero’s only Catholic church was St. Dionysius, a Holy Trinity mission. On March 27, 1892, they met to plan a Hawthorne parish. $6,250 for six lots on 30th St./Linden Ave (now 49th St.). Archbishop Feehan assigned it a parish. Archbishop Feehan chose Slominski. On May 30, 1895, Father Slominski came. The pastor lived in the back flat of Stephen Bartoszek, a pioneer parishioner on Jesamine and 30th Street. Until a frame church was built a few months later, Father Slominski celebrated Mass here. Father Slominski then commissioned a one-room frame building. It was a school. In 1899, he became pastor of St. Mary of Czstochowa. On 18th and Leavitt, Father Slominski founded and pastored St. Ann Church. This mission served English-speaking Catholics in Cicero’s Grant Works in 1902. In 1903, Western Electric erected a factory at 22nd Street and Cicero Avenue in Hawthorne. It employs thousands of foreigners. In July 1904, he became pastor of St. Mary of Gosty in Downers Grove (now in the Joliet diocese). He used to work at St. Mary of Perpetual Help in Chicago. Two classrooms were temporarily created in the parish hall behind the church. The Assisi Sisters began teaching in the parish school in August 1904. He built a new church-school, dedicated July 2, 1905. The huge brick structure at 30th and Linden (49th) In 1908, the Sisters moved to 3009 South 49th Court. In 1907, the Archdiocese of Chicago constructed Good Shepherd Parish at 28th and Kolin. The former parishioners of St. Mary of Czestochowa founded St. Valentine National Parish in 1911. 800 Western Electric employees died when the Eastland crashed in the Chicago River. There was a memorial Mass for the 29. It was built at 48th Court and 30th Street in June 1916. 3010 South 48th Court was nearly finished on October 29, 1917. Archbishop George W. For their 25th anniversary, hundreds of Poles came. 900 students and 800 parents came. According to a 1920 parish history: “Church, school, rectory and convent The frame is worth $3,000 and the lots are worth $25,000.” During the Great Depression, Father Czajkowski was a priest in Cicero. At 65, he died. Nogajewski died in 1940. St. Valentine and Assumption, BVM in Cicero. Commençant with the repairs and refurbishment of the church structures, the new pastor began on May 6, 1945. This year’s parish had 1600 families and 43 societies. He died on November 27, 1956, aged 73. Since January 1957. After serving as administrator of St. Ann’s Polish parish in Chicago. His work included expanding the convent and buying Our Lady of Czstochowa for the rectory. On September 16, 1959, a religious procession chanting Marian hymns dedicated it. A Domestic Prelate since 1960, Fr. Reklewski It was approved on November 13, 1960, at 5004 South 31st Street. It was funded by parish carnivals from 1946 to 1960. On February 19, 1961, Albert Gregory Meyer began construction on renovating and expanding the church, school, and rectory. Since September 17, 1961, the $300,000 Youngsters Center has served the community’s youth. She died in 1965. The New World said he was a fourth degree Knight of Columbus and a former Archdiocesan education board member (Harvey). Rev. Joseph C. Przybylowicz of Blue Island, Illinois, became pastor on March 4, 1966. He planned the 75th. It was presided over by Bishop Aloysius J. Wycislo of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Bishop Wycislo was elected Ordinary of the Green Bay Diocese in 1968. At the 75th anniversary of St. Mary of Czestochowa, there were 16 male and 28 women priests. Following the jubilee Mass, Mrs. Frances Wilary cooked and the Knights of Columbus served a meal. An evening of remembrance was held at Richard’s Banquet Room on October 25, 1970.


Father Przybylowicz was succeeded by Reverend Thaddeus J. Makuch. 37th and Paulina Streets, Chicago.

They arrived July 1, 2003. The Polish Redemptorists arrived then. A parade and ice cream gathering honor Our Lady of Czestochowa in August. A special Mass and social gathering with hot chocolate will be held on December 12 at 5:00 a.m. It is customary to surround Our Lady of Guadalupe’s icon with a bouquet. Lessons in the 1905 church and school continue. The congregation’s chancery is now in the convent. The Social Center has a public preschool and an athletic program. Services in three languages are offered daily, Sunday, and on special occasions. The 1918 church is a rare Polish Gothic. Cicero can see one of the church’s 200-foot twin towers. 1927 Gothic altars, pulpit, and communion rail. Icon of St. Luke, exhibited on the main altar of Our Lady of Czestochowa. Its new Guadalupe and Lubomierz shrines celebrate its Mexican and Góral parishioners.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.